Since I'm a baker, the ingredients needed were already in my kitchen. Aha! Cheap toys that makes toddlers happy! (It's definitely a WIN-WIN situation).
The play doughs that I made.
Our boy was superbly excited!
Hubby made these animals.
And I naturally, made a "cake".
Who said play doughs are only for children? :P
Here's a clip on how to make your own Play Dough:
There are plenty more that you can find on Youtube. I followed this one.
2 cups flour
2 cups water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp cream of tartar
1 cup salt (do get those cheap salt cause a cup of sea salt will cost you a bomb!)
1) Mix all ingredients into a saucepan before you turn on the stove.
2) Then stir under medium heat til it's all combined and sticky.
3) Remove it from pan onto a board. (I used an old chopping board.)
4) Knead the dough while it's still warm.
5) Break them into a few doughs.
6) Add 2-3 drops of colouring onto each dough and knead til colour combines.
Last but not least... PLAY! :D
Oh of course, it's edible because it's made of edible ingredients. (I'm not encouraging you to feed your toddler with it but in case your toddler accidentally puts it into his/her mouth, you won't panic that badly.)